Tuesday, November 29, 2011


Here's an excerpt from my book Street Fairs for profit, fun and madness on page 72 where I tell about an experience I had trying to purchase lemonade at a store in Mt. Shasta City, CA. The book has just been published and sells for $14.95

Chapter 7    Mt. Shasta City and the Fourth of July Celebration
Looking for Lemonade
It wasn’t a real scorcher up there in Mt. Shasta in 2009.  We have encountered temperatures up around 110 in past years.   One day, after closing up at 6:00pm, we stopped by a grocery store in Mount Shasta City to pick up more drinks for that night and the following day.  I have a real thirst for lemonade and I find it quite refreshing, especially in hot weather.  It’s much better than canned soda’s. I went inside the store and headed for the back where they had the drinks. I looked for some lemonade (ready-made from the frig area.  Minute Maid or Paul Newman’s Virgin Lemonade) would be fine, but I couldn't locate any.  I asked one of the employees where the lemonade was located. I saw at least 50 brands of Orange Juice.  Really! 
What do they do with the stuff?  You think I'm kidding about that?  Seriously, there had to be at least 50 different OJ's in there. I have never seen a selection like that before.  Anyhow,  absolutely nooooo lemonade. He said that they had none and he was hoping that the truck would bring some tomorrow. That’s nice.  I looked at him.  "I'm not waiting until tomorrow."  This isn’t one of those places where you wait in line for days to get tickets for a big event or you are trying to pick up a new game machine or an I-Phone. Can you imagine 200 people standing in line at 5:00AM waiting for the place to open so they can get some lemonade?  Only two per customer please.  Oh man. I gotta go to the bathroom; can you hold my spot for me?  Hey dude, back of the line, I've been here since yesterday morning. 

No comments: